Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Wish I were elsewhere... (Archive: 2006-11-13 6:09AM)

Ever had one of those days--usually rainy days--when you just can't get anything done, and the only thing you WANT to do, if you can get past the guilt of not being productive, is to just curl up in bed with a good book, and read till your mind drifts elsewhere? Whatever happened to that simple joy in life? Why can't we just sit and read a good book any more?

Torrid biophysics love affairs aside, there really is more to life than all this LaTeXing. Seriously. If I won the lottery, I would just read. For starters, I'd finish Something Rotten. I bought it in the summer and haven't even flipped beyond the dramatis personnae--yes, there's a dramatis personnae, isn't that just so tempting? --But no. Not until Christmas.

Books will never betray you, unlike true love (whatever the bleep that may be), and certainly much more reliable even than science (which is, yet again, kicking me in the shins with a steel-toed boot). Books are solid and warm. They are always there and they always have time for you. They DON'T say you're pressuring or needy or misinterpreting, and obey YOU instead of the other way around. You don't need to wrestle with them--unless you choose to, and God help you if that happens--and all you need to do is to read them, feel them, and live them. Ah, the wonders of books!

It's not about escaping--oh, no; it's about readjusting, like pushing a reset button that takes anywhere from hours to days to reload and resume the original process, so that you have time to uh...regroup, and come back stronger than ever. Or something like that, you decide. But the point is, the world fades away while you've got a good book between your hands, two pet mice sleeping in a cage next to you, and a cup of freshly brewed Whittard's strong traditional Earl Grey. --If I had a million dollars.

So while I'm financially yet-to-be-secure and undecided about my future, books are on hold, even though they're like a drug to me especially when I'm neck-deep in compiling crap and waiting for somebody else's finals to be over. For those of you who are fortunate enough to not share my predicament, take heed and read!

Read, my friends, until the proverbial cows come home--or even the real ones, whichever take longer! Let not the burden of a non-descriptive world destroy your hopes and dreams! --Go forth now and read a good book!

No comments: